Admire the USA's most iconic mountains
Rejoice in the crisp air and panoramic vistas at the top of the world in Rocky Mountain National Park, which comprises 107,000 hectares of some of the most dramatic, high-altitude scenery on Earth. As its name suggests, this is a park of peaks – multiple 4,000-plus-meter peaks, in fact – linked by winding roads and 483 kilometers of trails and bisected by the Continental Divide. A favorite of mountaineers, skiers, hikers and ordinary day trippers, Rocky Mountain is rightfully one of the most popular parks in the National Park Service system.
Elemental forces of sky and earth still shape this stunning National Park. Wetlands in lower elevations of the park contain lush plant life and dense wildlife. As you move higher, the landscape gives way to evergreen forests and high mountain lakes. Topping out on the alpine tundra reveals a harsh land where life nestles close to the ground in one of the earth's most extreme environments.
The park features about 570 kilometres of hiking trails that lead to the park’s splendid backcountry of meadows, surging streams, waterfalls and some of the park’s 150 lakes. The Continental Divide Trail, one of the country’s most important long-distance treks spanning nearly 5,000 kilometres from the border of Canada to the border of Mexico, threads the park from north to south. Wildlife abounds, from elk, moose and bighorn sheep (the park’s unofficial emblem) to the elusive mountain lions, bears and coyotes, and different wildflowers bloom every month from May through July.
- The Colorado region of Rocky Mountain National Park, Roosevelt and Arapaho National Forests has a wide variety of spectacular drives.
- Drive up Trail Ridge Road to the alpine tundra and sample the air at 12,000 feet. Drive up Mount Evans and compare the air at 14,000 feet!
- Get off the beaten path and glimpse the backcountry from Old Fall River Road.
- Check out the Colorado River Headwaters to see the source of the water that carves the Grand Canyon.
- Enjoy the scenic Peak to Peak Highway that leads to Central City gaming or Eldora downhill skiing.
- Watch for bighorn sheep in the narrows of the Big Thompson Canyon.
To enquire about a holidays to Americas National Parks call 01243 779 737 or follow the links below
Link to Americas National Parks
Link to America Holidays
Please note, all visitors to the USA are required, by law, to complete an online ESTA form prior to travel, one form must be completed for each member of the family and or party. The US government charges a fee of $14.00 for ESTA applications,
For your financial security all holidays created by Time and Place Luxury Holidays are covered under the Civil Aviation ATOL protection scheme